Damascus, Syria, July 11, 2018. A vendor sells traditional goods from his shop in the historic al-Buzuriya market south of the Umayyad Mosque in ancient Damascus. The market includes guest houses and shops that sell spices, nuts, perfumes and medical herbs used in Arab alternative medicine, as well as sweets, dried fruit, and soaps. The al-Buzuriya market stretches between the al-Azm palace, the historic gold market, the Madhat Basha market, and the Straight Street. Damascene vendors preserve the trades of their ancestors in the ancient markets of Damascus. During the Ayyubid era in 1171, the al-Buzuriya was known as the Wheat Market; however, the market became famous in 1749 as the Ottoman ruler Ass’ad Pasha al-Azm built a palace in the market. The market became known as Khan Ass’ad Basha.