To view the original Arabic version of this item, please click here!

COVID-19 kills one man and infects others in Aleppo and Hama; health authorities take precautionary procedures to prevent its spread in Syria

Editing: Mohamad Alaa |
TranslationEditor: Glory Jabr |
Translation: Nouha Salti
Publication date: 2020/03/21 17:00

Syria - SMART

A man died in the military hospital of the city of Afrin, Aleppo, Northern Syria, due to a sever dyspnea. The hospital’s management sent a sample for testing in Turkey to make sure if the man is infected with coronavirus (COVID-19).

Doctor Ahamd Haj Hasan, head of Afrin’s medical office, reported to SMART that the patient, who was in the intensive care untie, died on Friday night due to a sever dyspnea.

Haj Hasan stressed that there is no conclusive evidence about the patient's infection with COVID-19, adding that they sent a sample to Turkey to obtain the conclusive results.

Local councils in the Afrin area prevented gatherings as a precaution to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Sobhi Razzuk, head of Jindayris local council, reported to SMART that the local councils in Afrin issued a decision to close public markets, including the Wednesday Market in Jindayris, as a precautionary procedure against the spread of COVID-19.

Razzuk added that the decision included stopping all gatherings in events, including funerals and weddings.

COVID-19 infected 33 people in the Syrian government forces-controlled city of Aleppo, Northern Syria.

Private medical sources reported to SMART that the 33 infected people included a doctor and two nurses, amidst secrecy and strict security procedure by the Syrian government.

The sources confirmed that the medical staff were infected with COVID-19 in the Aleppo University Hospital after treating infected members of Iranian militias and the Syrian government forces.

On Saturday, the managements of the Uqayribat Surgical Hospital and the Ibn al-Haytham Eye Hospital in the Idlib governorate, Northern Syria, announced a list of new precautionary procedure against the spread of COVID-19.

The Uqayribat Surgical Hospital’s management said in a generalization that starting from Mar. 21, 2020, vistits in the hospital will be prevented, and the patient can be escorted by one person only. The precautions also included closing all clinics, except for patients who had operations and need to visit the doctor, in condition of holding an exit permission.

In statement, the Education Directorate in the Idlib governorate announced closing schools, universities, and institutes for a week, starting from Mar. 21, 2020, to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The statement mentioned that administrative work will continue in all establishments.

A child, who was infected with COVID-19, died in the Syrian government forces-controlled city of Hama, Central Syria.

Sources close to the child said that she had a sever influenza, which pushed her parents to take her to the Hama National Hospital, and after suspecting her infection with COVID-19, she was isolated and died in the hospital after one week.   

The sources added that the Syrian government forces prevented the child’s parents from washing her body before burying her and threatened them with detention if they revealed the cause of the child’s death.

The Syrian government Defense Ministry suspended compulsory and reserve recruitment in its controlled areas until Apr. 22, 2020, to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The Syrian government took new procedures in its prisons to prevent the spread of COVID-19 among prisoners.

A private source reported to SMART that the Syrian government prevented visits to the prisons, transporting prisoners to trials, and limited the movement of security members in the prisons.

The source added that two weeks earlier, teams from the Syrian government Health Ministry sterilized the Adra Central Prison and the Sednaya Military Prison; however, the sterilization process was not completed.  N

International and political news:

Turkey confirmed five more deaths from COVID-19 late on Friday, bringing the total to nine with 311 new cases.  

The Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said on Twitter that the deaths were of elderly and vulnerable patients. He added that 311 out of 3,656 tests conducted on suspected cases in the last 24 hours had come back positive, bringing the total number of patients to 670, up from 359.