To view the original Arabic version of this item, please click here!

Reuters: "300 Russian mercenaries kill and injure in Syria during one week."

pictogram-avatar
Editing: Amena Riyad |
TranslationEditor: Farah Nassif |
Translation: Nouha Salti
access_time
Publication date: 2018/02/16 08:17

Turkey - SMART

On Thursday, Reuters reported from knowledgeable sources that 300 Russians, working for a private Russian military company contracted with the Kremlin, were killed and injured in Syria last week.

According to a Moscow military hospital's doctor, about 100 men were killed, as the hospital received more than 50 injured, 30% of them suffered significant injuries. Other knowledgeable sources stated that more than 80 were killed.

The doctor said that a colleague of his, sent to Syria for a medical evacuation, told him that about 100 Russians were killed and 200 were injured by the end of last week, adding that most of the victims were private Russian military contractors.

The head of the local branch of the "Kosak" paramilitary organization, Yevgeny Shabayev, said that he had visited acquaintances, injured in Syria, in the central hospital of the Ministry of Defense in Khimki in the suburbs of Moscow on Wednesday.

Shabayev added that his acquaintances told him that the two Russian contractors' units, which participated in the battle near Deir Ez-Zor, consist of 550 men, about 200 of them are still unharmed.

This action coincided with the International Coalition's announcement of killing more than 100 loyalist and allied militias fighters during clashes between the latter and the Syrian Democratic Forces, supported by the coalition, in Deir Ez-Zor.

On Thursday, the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed the killing of five Russians in a bombing by the International Coalition led by the United States in Eastern Syria.

The US Ministry of Defense described the attack by the US-led International Coalition against ISIS on loyalist forces' locations in Deir Ez-Zor as "confusing" and "out of self-defense."