To view the original Arabic version of this item, please click here!

Al-Rukban camp local council: "No reply from International Coalition about opening road for FDP to Northern Syria”

pictogram-avatar
Editing: Hasan Borhan |
TranslationEditor: Farah Nassif |
Translation: Muhammad Ghaith
access_time
Publication date: 2019/01/07 17:17

Homs - SMART

On Monday, Abu Ahmad Dirbas, the head of the local council of the al-Rukban camp on Jordanian border, east of the city of Homs, Central Syria, said that they have not received a reply from the United States-led International Coalition about opening a road for the forcibly displaced people (FDP) from the camp to Northern Syria.

On October 4, 2018, the Syrian government forces laid siege to the Rukban Camp, preventing food and medical supplies from entering, while the camp administration appealed for aid for more than 50 thousand camp dwellers living in poor humanitarian conditions. One month after the siege started, the Syrian government forces allowed a single aid convoy to enter the camp.

Dirbas added that they have not received any reply or assurance to their demands, which they handed to the International Coalition forces, to open a road through the desert to evacuate the FDP to Northern Syria, fearing for a potential attack of the Syrian government forces that lay siege to  the camp, especially following the US decision to withdraw from Syria.

Dirbas noted that they refused an attempt by the Jordanian government to hold a negotiation session between the administration of the camp and Syrian government and Russia because “they do not trust the others.” Dirbas said, “If the International Coalition does not open the road by forces, no one will be able to open it.”

Earlier on Monday, the Political and Public Relations Committee of the camp appealed to the international community, the US, France, United Kingdom, Turkey, Germany, other European countries, Amnesty International, and the United Nations High Commission for Human Rights to meet the FDP’s demands