National Army confiscates mobile phones of people in al-Dadat village, al-Raqqa, for security reasons
Al-Raqqa – SMART
The al-Shamiah faction of the Syrian National Army confiscated mobile phones of people in the village of al-Dadat near the city of Tal Abyad, northern al-Raqqa, Northeastern Syria, for security reasons.
Private sources reported to SMART that the faction launched search campaign in the village looking for explosives and mines, despite that the village did not have a Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) presence. The sources added that the people expressed discontent after the National Army confiscated their phones.
The SDF are mainly comprised of the Kurdish People's Protection Units in addition to Arab, Turkmen, and Assyrian/Syriac military factions. The SDF is supported by the United States-backed International Coalition against the Islamic State and fought them in al-Raqqa, Deir al-Zor, Aleppo, and al-Hasakah in Northeastern Syria.
The sources also said that commanders of the al-Shamiah faction toured the village, apologized to the people for the behavior of the faction members, and promised the people to give them back their mobile phones, but these promised were not fulfilled yet.
The sourced denied news on social media about stealing large amounts of money and jewelry by the faction members during the search campaign, mentioning that some members stole small amounts of money (between 1,000 and 2,000 Syrian pounds) during the search.
These reports coincided with a statement by the Syrian Interim Government Minister of Defense, Salim Idris, in which he said, “We instructed our fighters to well-behave with the Kurds in these areas and to protect their properties; the fighters will make their best to avoid any violation.”
On Thursday, Oct. 9, 2019, the Turkish forces and the National Army of the Syrian Interim Government gained control of several villages near the city of Tal Abyad, 82 kilometers north of the city of al-Raqqa. The SDF is clashing with the National Army on the perimeter of the city of Ras al-Ayn.
Earlier on Oct. 9, 2019, the National Army sent fighters to Turkey in order to participate in the Turkish military operation.
On Oct. 9, 2019, the Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced starting a military operation against the Syrian Democratic Forces, as Turkish officials said that this operation is in accordance with international laws and the Charter of the United Nations, amidst an international condemnation to the operation, while Amnesty International said that the Turkish operation will endanger civilians.