Syrian government forces and Russian military campaign kills 2,125 civilians in a year
Idlib - SMART
On Wednesday, the Response Coordinators Team-Syria documented that the military campaign launched by the Syrian government forces and Russia in late April 2019, has killed 2,125 civilians, including 597 children in Northern and Central Syria.
Muhammad Halaj, the team manager reported to SMART that they documented the statestics since the start of bombings in April 2019 and so far. Halaj added that the bombings killed civilians in the Idlib, Aleppo, Hama, and Latakia, Northewestern and Central Syria.
Halaj said that the military campaign has displaced 1,533,714 people since April 2019 until March 2020. Halaj noted that the bombings destroyed infranstucture facilities and resdiential neighborhoods.
Russian-backed Syrian government forces and supporting militias have launched a ground military attack on the southern and eastern countryside of Idlib and the southern and western countryside of Aleppo. The Syrian government gained control of dozens of villages and towns in the region, after intense shelling. The shelling killed and injured hundreds of civilians, and displaced hundreds of thousands of others.
This attack is considered a continuation of the military operation launched by the Syrian government forces and Russia on Idlib on Apr. 25, 2019. During the military operation, the Syrian government forces gained total control of the northern countryside of Hama and the area of Khan Sheikhun. Military analysts and journalists said that by this military operation, the Syrian government aims to gain control of the Aleppo-Damascus international highway that connects Turkey to Jordan and the Arab Gulf States in order to reopen it later under Russian and Turkish sponsorship agreed upon by the two countries.